Monday, January 9, 2012

Rap: Drake as the Leader of the New School

"....Second album I'm back paving the way/The backpackers are back on the bandwagon/ Like this was my comeback season back, back in the day"- Drake: "Over My Dead Body"

Sooooo everybody been going in today about Drake since Common released his diss on the Stay Schemin beat. Damn, everybody was a Drake fan like a year ago, 6 months ago, 3 months, last week lol. I was a new listener to Drake actually, when I came to Cleveland in 2008. I really didn't become a fan until recently, maybe a year and a half- 2 yrs ago but even more recent, I gave him this label as "Leader of the New School"

First, let me start off and s/o my nig @coolazzpat because he been said Drake was gon' be something like a Founding Father for this new shit and he really is though!! Let's face it, hip hop is going through that change once again. You know it started as dance music, rebel music, gangster music, crunk music etc. I mean since about 2000, the lyricist has been losing his credibility and beats, gimmicks and catchy hooks are so much more important and profitable in the mainstream world. Drake has all that, minus the gimmicks add the talent! Drake brought back lyrics and substance to mainstream hip hop. Shit he might as well be one of those lyrical/conscience/backpack niggas but he is YMCMB, what more do you want from him!?!?! Of course they are gonna water you down as much as possible to get that money. This is Baby and Wayne we're talking about c'mon now.

This new generation of rappers who are young, intelligent, lyrical, full of swag & creativity, and sexy af i.e J. Cole, Big Sean, Wale, Big K.R.I.T, Nipsey Hussle, Diggy Simmons, ASAP Rocky etc etc are slowly invading the mainstream and the gangsters and gimmicks are slowly fading out the limelight. I mean the $$ makers & music illuminati knows who buys music: college students, white people, and girls. That's why there is a shift in mainstream content and style; so it can appeal to the target populations. Now, of course there will still be room for the gangsters but only the real and already established will survive.

Drake started something crazy and y'all cant be mad and hate now trying to say he's gay because he's emotional,  blah blah blah all da other shit insecure men say. Now as far as the beef, that comes with the territory. Drake is a worthy opponent because although he is new to this, he has already proved he does this i.e grammys and great albums/mixtapes at the age of 25. Drake is also probably the most consistent rapper nowadays! I've never heard a wack verse and if you need a hook, the only guy I MIGHT call besides Drake is Cudi. He's worked with all the top artists and his solo projects are just as engaging and relatable. I mean, does every rapper have to come from the hood or can ppl come from humble beginnings?? Shit talent is talent and he's probably better than your favorite rapper.




No comments:

Post a Comment